Do you have a special phone number or business line that you would like to use with Sideline? If so, you can easily port your existing number into Sideline.
Porting is the term used for transferring a phone number from one service provider to another.
Below you will find some general information about the port-in process, and step-by-step instructions about how to port your number into Sideline.
General info before you get started:
- There is no fee to port your number into Sideline
- Only one port-in request can be active at any given time
- You can only port a U.S. number into Sideline
- Once you port a number into Sideline, you have to port that number out of Sideline before you can port another number in
- Do NOT cancel your current service plan before your number has been successfully ported
- You must first choose a Sideline number before you can port a non-Sideline number in
- Choose any number for the meantime while you wait for your number to be ported in
After you complete the steps involved in porting your number, our service provider, Bandwidth will check to see if your number is available to port.
There are three possible outcomes to this process:
- Your number can be ported
- Your number cannot be ported
- Your number can be ported, but you need to contact support first
- Your number can be ported, but you're currently on a Team Number account
Can my number be ported in?
Before we can fulfill the porting process, we need to verify you own the telephone number you’re trying to transfer. To do this we need some information about your account.
1. Your number can be ported
Once we are able to validate the number you are trying to port, you will be asked to provide specific Carrier account information in order to move forward with the port-in process.
- You can find the list of information you will need from your Carrier in our help site article: Guide to Porting Your Number
- A PIN is not required for landline numbers
Note: The process can take about 3-5 days to complete. We’ll notify you when the transfer is complete.
2.Your number cannot be ported
- If your request was rejected by Bandwidth, you will see a message that says "Sorry, we can't transfer this number" or that it has been canceled. Unfortunately, this means that there is no way we can port your number into Sideline.
3. Your number can be ported, but you're going to need some assistance from our Support team
- You will see a "Needs Review" message. If the port has been pending for more than 1-5 days without an update, please contact us so we can investigate further.
Once you’ve successfully completed the number porting process, you can check the status of your number transfer on the Settings page of your Sideline app (status is located to the right of the 'Number Porting' field - pictured below)
4. Your number can be ported, but you're currently on a Team Number account
- Porting in your existing phone number to Team Number requires that you first opt-out of your current team number so you can start over fresh with a new Individual account.
- From there, you'll be able to port in your number and re-invite your team members back. For the complete instructions, check out our article: Porting into Team Number.