The 'Approaching Carrier Limit' message is in place to notify Sideline users when they are close to exceeding CTIA's (Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association) regulations.
- "Approaching Carrier Limit" warning message pops-up on your Sideline app
- "Unable to deliver message" error when trying to send a text message
You may receive a warning message (as stated above) if you have an active Sideline account and have met one or more of the following:
- You've sent 750+ messages in the same day or
- You've sent messages to 75 unique conversations/75 unique contacts in the same day
The warning message is to notify you that you are approaching the daily message limit (seen in the conditions above) and run the risk of having your messages blocked due to the CTIA (Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association) regulations. These guidelines have always been in place, but CTIA is now strictly enforcing these messaging regulations.
Cause & Resolution
The reason you are receiving the warning message is due to your high texting volume. CTIA's daily limit for messaging is:
- No more than 1000+ messages sent per day
- No more than 100+ new conversations per day sent to 100+ different (unique) contacts per day
What you can do
If you receive the warning message:
This message helps to warn you that you have hit the daily message limit and are at risk for having your messages blocked for 24 hours.
We suggest minimizing outgoing messages for the rest of the day after you receive the warning to prevent the chance of getting blocked.
If your outgoing messages are being blocked:
This means that you have exceeded the threshold limit (as referenced in CTIA's threshold above), and thus you will be unable to send messages for 24 hours after the first notice of the error.
To prevent your messages from being blocked:
- Adhere to our Fair Use Policy (which we have in place due to CTIA regulations)
- Use your Sideline account for everyday messaging only (not for mass marketing messaging)
If you are unable to send messages but are currently not in violation of CTIA's guidelines, please submit a request and we will further troubleshoot your messaging issues.