This article answers common calling questions for Android or iOS users, and will help you get started using Sideline.
Want to give Sideline a try? Click below to download a 7-day free trial of Sideline.
- How does calling work? Will I be charged?
- What are the calls in my call log, and what is a pilot number?
- How do Sideline calls appear in the call log for my iOS device?
- How do Sideline calls appear in the call log for my Android device?
- What appears on the receiver's screen when I call them from Sideline?
- Will calls show up on my phone bill?
- Does Sideline use cellular data?
- If I choose a number outside my area, will I be charged long distance?
- Can I use wifi for calls?
- Can I place an international call?
- What happens when a blocked user calls you?
- Why is "Call Announcement" not an option in my Settings?
HOW DOES CALLING WORK? WILL I BE CHARGED?
Sideline calls work like any other call you make on your phone.
Sideline uses your minutes and connects your calls through your regular service provider. This means standard calling and messaging fees may apply.
WHAT ARE THE CALLS IN MY CALL LOG, AND WHAT IS A PILOT NUMBER?
When receiving or placing a call through Sideline, you may notice that the number appears as an out-of-state number. This is the pilot number we use to connect your calls. These pilot numbers will also be found in your iPhone's call log.
- Your pilot numbers (inbound and outbound) can be found in your device's contact list as "Sideline Call". Since all calls are routed through this contact, it's important to not delete it.
- To return a Sideline call, you will need to go into the app to find the correct contact information and to place the call successfully.
- You will hear an audible error message if you attempt to return a Sideline call from your iPhone's call history instead of the app. This is because you will be calling the Sideline pilot number, not the contact.
HOW DO SIDELINE CALLS APPEAR IN THE CALL LOG FOR MY iOS DEVICE?
Your incoming and outgoing Sideline calls will show in your device's call log as "Incoming Sideline Call and "Outgoing Sideline Call."
Please note: If you quickly toggle between the Sideline app and your device call log (immediately after placing the call), you might see the actual phone number that you called for a brief moment. Not to worry, this should update once you exit your device call log.
HOW DO SIDELINE CALLS APPEAR IN THE CALL LOG FOR MY ANDROID DEVICE?
Your incoming and outgoing Sideline calls will show in your device's call log as "Sideline Incoming Call and "Sideline Outgoing Call."
Please note: If you are on Android App Version 3.36.1 or above, only "Sideline Incoming Call" will show in your device's call log. Outgoing Sideline calls will show as the contact name or the phone number in your device call log indefinitely (not as "Sideline Outgoing Call")
WHAT APPEARS ON THE RECEIVER'S SCREEN WHEN I CALL THEM FROM SIDELINE?
Sideline numbers were designed to help you keep your business and personal life separate on one device. When you place a call through Sideline, your receiver will see your Sideline number, not your registered number or pilot number.
Sideline does not allow you to block your Caller ID.
WILL CALLS SHOW UP ON MY PHONE BILL?
Yes, calls through Sideline will appear on your monthly phone bill just like a call connected through your primary number. However, just the pilot numbers will appear on your bill. Check out your Sideline contacts within your device's address book to find those.
DOES SIDELINE USE CELLULAR DATA?
Yes, while Sideline uses your minutes to connect your calls, we also use your data to set up each call. This means, that you cannot use Sideline if you have your data turned off.
The only exception to this rule is if you enable VoIP Calling through your Sideline Settings to connect your calls through WiFi, rather than route calls through your carrier network.
If you use your using VoIP calling with your data, you may be charged by your service provider depending on your cellular plan.
We recommend you contact your service provider with any questions about calling or messaging costs and what your service plan entails.
IF I CHOOSE A NUMBER OUTSIDE OF MY AREA, WILL I BE CHARGED LONG DISTANCE?
The charges you incur will depend on the plan you have with your service provider
If you choose a number with an area code that's different from your primary phone number, you may be charged long-distance fees.
CAN I USE WIFI FOR CALLS?
Yes! You'll just need to enable the VoIP Calling feature within your Sideline Settings.
If you connect a call on VoIP with WiFi, but you’re in an area where you’re not connected to a strong enough connection, calls may use data instead.
If you use your data to call or text your contacts through Sideline, you may be charged by your service provider depending on your cellular plan.
CAN I PLACE AN INTERNATIONAL CALL?
If you have a Sideline Enterprise account, you can sign up for unlimited international calling for $15 a month.
To learn more about international calling and which countries we support click here.
For Sideline individual subscribers: Currently, we support calling to +1 countries only.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A BLOCKED NUMBER CALLS YOU?
If a number you blocked attempts to call you, you will receive neither a notification nor a voicemail from the blocked number.
WHY IS CALL ANNOUNCEMENT NOT AN OPTION IN MY SETTINGS?
There are two potential reasons why you may not see Call Announcement in your settings:
- The account is a Team Number account
- Due to the way Team Number rings all inbound calls to multiple devices, Call Announcement is defaulted to enabled and must be used.
- There is one caveat to this: If the account is a Team Number account, but does not currently share the number with another user, they will have the option to disable Call Announcement.
- The customer has WiFi Calling enabled
- Due to the way that inbound calls ring, Call Announcement can only be used if the native carrier is being utilized. Since WiFi calling goes outside of their native carrier, Call Announcement will not be shown in Settings while WiFi Calling is enabled.
If you have any further questions, please submit a request.
Please note: Sideline is designed to be used as a second number for your mobile device and relies on your mobile service for managing communications. Therefore, you will need to use your Carrier cell phone number when registering for your account. Using a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) number, or a number not associated with your device will result in the inability to register for an account and an inferior experience as Sideline is not designed for that use case.
Since we connect your calls and messages through your service provider, we recommend you contact your service provider with any questions about calling or messaging costs and what your service plan entails.
If you’re on the latest Android OS, and you can't receive or make phone calls, check your device settings to confirm that phone permissions are enabled.
If you receive the error message "number has been disconnected" or "number is no longer in service" when placing or receiving calls, please refer to the Sideline Service Status Page first to check if there are any calling disruptions within Sideline.